March 18, 2013

Flash Blog: Music

Music is an expressive form of communication unlike any other.  It transcends cultures, languages, and ages.  It seamlessly matches our moods, supporting us through difficult and delightful moments, while providing an outlet for turbulent or exultant emotions.  Music stimulates and enhances neurological function, aiding in the development of a child or in the productivity and retention of adult minds.  


And yet, music is one of the first types of education to be sacrificed in schools or by some professionally driven parents.  So to those who read this, please consider bringing music and musical education into your lives and the lives of your children, and supporting the musicians in your communities.

10 comments

  1. Even when I was at school, music was far less emphasised than sport. It was up to my parents to ensure piano and singing lessons. I'm so grateful that they did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, musical education hasn't been well emphasized in the US – scary to think that they're cutting it even further.

      Delete
  2. That's true, musical education must be part of school for every kid. In my school time here in Finland we always had mandatory music lessons, from the first grade to high school. And it was great, though I'm not a musician.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Unfortunately, more countries - like Russia - are switching from the "musical education for everyone" approach to the "musical education for those who can afford it" approach.

      Delete
  3. I'm so glad my daughter still has a music class, and I expect her jr and sr high schools will have a band she will join. And even if none of that happens, she is currently taking piano lessons, and I don't plan on stopping until she begs me. Even then, she'll have to do some convincing. ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She's fortunate that you are giving her that opportunity - and that the schools in your area still offer music programs!

      Delete
  4. I wanted to study music at school but only two people in my year wanted to do the same so I had to pick another subject instead.

    Music is such a wonderful medium and timeless as you say. It's been around far longer than films, TV and books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's unfortunate that you missed out on taking music classes at school. You could always take some now! ;-)

      Delete
  5. It is such a shame when this gets dropped. There are so many wonders to discover within the world of music!

    ReplyDelete